Monday, May 21, 2012

Commuterism

As often happens to addicts, my cycling problem has finally begun affecting my work.  I used to be able to keep it together, I had it under control.  I went to work and, well, worked.  I would then come home and bike, and never the two should meet.  Well, other than the time I made the mistake of having some new cycling clothes delivered to work and a co-worker proceeded to put my jersey on over his work clothes and run around the office.  I work at a very serious and staid company, obviously.


But now, well, I've begun to commute to work by bike.  I know, I know, it's disturbing, but at least I'm admitting I have a problem, it's a step, right?  Yeah, I don't know if admitting it is going to do much for the poor temp who was surprised by me in my spandex one morning.  A man in spandex is, let's face it, about as disturbing as anything, but to be surprised by it within the work environment, in the early morning, before you've even had your coffee, well, it's just not fair.  


In an effort to minimize the disruption, I've tried to arrive earlier and leave later, but unfortunately it just results in the same unfortunate dedicated workers being constantly exposed to my, well, exposure.  I've found if I just pretend that I'm invisible and don't talk to them at all until I am fully showered and changed they can just pretend they didn't see me in spandex and it seems to be for the best.  It helps if I don't make ghost noises and rattle chains, but it is hard to resist.


Now is the point in my blog where I am supposed to tell you all the wonderful benefits of commuting, and give you pointers on why you too should take it up.  But, well, I just can't be bothered.  Frankly, as a cyclist I was always told by others how and why I should commute and it just never worked for me, despite a few efforts.  It just happened that a combination of factors all aligned to make it a nice fit now, but, like most things in life, what works for me probably won't for you.  Well, unless you work at my company, and live in my neighborhood, and have a similar anger issue with rush hour traffic, and have similar time constraints in life.  If that's the case then you sound pretty awesome and we should ride together sometime.


*My wife, my best critic and (only) editor is away right now, so please forgive the lower quality of the next few posts.  We apologize for the subpar product and will work to keep such disappointments from affecting your Tulibo experience in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment