Sunday, March 27, 2011

Do You Hear My Voice?

So I was reading my weekly science magazine, because I am a tremendous nerd, and I came across a rather shocking bit of information.  Apparently, approximately 85% of the population hear a voice when they read.  Like, a little voice, in their head, telling them the words.  WHAT?


Really?


Well, yes, apparently so, according to the information.  And chances are you, dear reader, are hearing these words in your head right now.  Weird.  What does my voice sound like in your head?  If I may make a request, I would prefer James Earl Jones or, at the least, Morgan Freeman.  But, let's face it, it's probably Andy Dick.  On helium.  Damn.


Anyway, I was shocked by this tidbit of information because I am apparently one of the minority of people who hear nothing when reading.  I just don't get it.  I look at a word, I know what the word is, I don't have a voice telling me what it is.  I guess I cut out the middleman?  But it raises so many questions in my mind, silent though they may be, such as...


Do people really have a running commentary while they read?  


Does punctuation, change what... you hear?!?  


Do typographical changes make it sound LOUDER or saucy or emphatic or dumb?  


If you read something en français does it sound différents?  


¿Qué hay en español?  


Do you hear different voices for each character in a book or the same for all?  


If it is a female versus male character do they have different voices?


Do ya'll hear accents or jus' the same ol' fer everyone?




Do people really have a running commentary while they read?  

Weird.  You all (well, 85% of you) are weird.  Just weird.  But I would like to sound like Marvin Gaye, if that's alright.  Weirdo.


No comments:

Post a Comment