Monday, September 5, 2011

Caffeinated Baby

Last Sunday we were having a lazy morning after a late night traveling back from Indiana.  By the way, thanks to those smarter/more experienced parent readers who pointed out we should try driving in the night while Kiki sleeps for road trips, it worked much better... well, except for the hail storm in the Indiana countryside at one a.m., could have done without that.  


Anyway, my wife and I were busily downing liters of coffee in an effort to keep up with our daughter.  Seeing us gulping so much of it, she was understandably curious and learned that it was "hot" and, eventually, began calling it "affee".  She was quite insistent, and was beginning to interfere with our constant supply of caffeine.  


Being a smart, resourceful father (not to mention dashingly handsome, wickedly clever, and mysteriously scented of bananas), I decided I should let Kiki try coffee, since that would surely stop her asking for it.  Let me also explain that the coffee in our house is of a strength that places it somewhere between a solid and rocket fuel.  It typically has an oil slick on top.  We sometimes have espresso as a lighter option.  If we run out of coffee I am forced to amputate a toe to approximate the physical reaction of our morning coffee.  


Okay, so perhaps I exaggerate a bit, but the point it our normal cup o' joe is akin to a swift kick in the face.  Needless to say, I figured Kiki would sputter it out and learn a lesson that she did not like "affee" and allow us to enjoy it in peace.  Unfortunately, Kiki decided not to go along with my plan.  No, she took a sip and immediately smiled and began chanting "more affee" repeatedly.  Yeah.  So now we're making an extra cup every morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment