Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Summer Reading List

A friend is newly pregnant and we decided to lend them some of our parenting books to help them begin building a crippling fear of failure as a parent.  I mean, you can't do this on your own, right?  


Anyway, we pulled them together and had about 22 that my wife had read and, well, the one that I read.  Well, I read most of it.  Alright, half of it.  Okay, I got through pregnancy, birth, and the first four months.  I think the scope of the book went from conception through college acceptance.  I mean, I got the gist of it, I flipped through to check out any pictures.  And for the record, there were no pictures.  


I know, can you blame me for giving up on it?  Seems to me like the book was making some dangerous assumptions of my prior knowledge. The author apparently assumed that I am a man who knows what a baby looks like, who can decipher the fine art of swaddling through words alone, and who can apply a diaper without a 17 stage illustrated manual and accompanying video walkthrough.  Needless to say, I quickly realized that this was not a parenting guide aimed at me, and took the responsible route of casting it aside and just winging it.  


Now, this may not be the advised approach to parenting, and it doesn't sell many books, but so far it seems to be working okay... 






Hmmm, maybe I should have read the chapter about not eating your young.  But then again, she does seem to enjoy it.  And she is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment